Friday, October 29, 2010

More Label Mania?

Well, my nephew pushed me over my "percolating" phase and on to the "trying it" phase.  (Thanks, John!)

I've been thinking about the possibility of shrink-wrapping my soaps for quite a while, now.   I could see the benefits, but struggled with "All Natural Soap" vs. plastic packaging.

Here are a few of my ponderings:   1. People buy natural stuff in plastic all the time.

                                                              2. I don't like to totally cover my soaps because...

                                                               3. Folks like to see what the soap looks like, and...

                                                                4. Plastic keeps the soap nice and clean, but...

                                                                5. Can you smell through plastic?  (I got my answer a couple months ago when I ordered a couple soaps from Amy at Great Cakes Soapworks... I could smell the Almost Paradise and Watermelon  -right through the plastic!  They're fabulous, BTW!)

                                              and finally:    6.  How hard is it to shrink-wrap soap?

Spurred to action, I stopped at a local craft store and got the smallest amount of shrink-wrap that I could find for $2.49 and a sheet of "fall" craft paper.   Here's what I came up with.  (Country Naturals a soap "line" that I sell in a local gift shop.)

Also, for grins, here's an old photo of my previous attempt at clear packaging that was not shrunk to fit.  I probably don't have to tell you how goobered-up the inside of those bags got!

Here's the old photo with the black & white labels:



So, I'm off to deliver soap, and see how it goes over.   I'm hoping that people will think of these for "hostess" gifts for Thanksgiving, maybe.   I'll be working on my Country Naturals and Heirloom Soapworks (with a green photo label) Christmas packaging next week.  Thanks to all for your comments and opinions.  I do appreciate & welcome them! ~Becky

3 comments:

Deb said...

A lot of people use the shrink wrap bands that will leave the ends open a bit. I would like to try that style...one of these days.

~Deb

Amy Warden said...

The shrink wrap you buy at the craft store is quite a bit thicker than the Smell-Through Shrink Wrap that I use. If you have trouble smelling your soaps, you can always try some of mine! Glad I could inspire you! :)

Amy Warden said...

The shrink wrap you buy at the craft store is quite a bit thicker than the Smell-Through Shrink Wrap that I use. If you have trouble smelling your soaps through the wrap, you can try some of mine! Glad I inspired you! :)