Handmade Soap Shop

Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Alkanet Experience

Whew!  This soap coloring thing is pretty exciting and nerve wracking for me.  It's just all so new...

Above  right is a photo of the alkanet-olive oil when I poured it in with my solid oils.  Pretty burgundy looking.

After I added the lye-water mixture, it turned a lovely purplish-blue. (see photo below) I suppose it's the changing pH that I read about this morning.

I tried a couple of 3-layer loaves.  A white grapefruit top layer (uncolored) a lemongrass-grapefruit middle layer (colored with carrot tissue oil) and a bottom layer of my lavender-ylang ylang-lily (colored with Alkanet).  I'm not confident of the results, but I'm anxious to see them.

The last two loaves were the two colored soaps in what I hope turns out as a "lava-lamp" look.  I guess we'll all see what they turn out like tomorrow.  I'll post pictures, good or bad. : ) -Happy Skin!

No comments: